Although the celebration of our independence as a nation is a secular holiday, there are far more religious undertones to it than most are willing to admit -- beginning with our national anthem. As a monastery located just a few blocks from the Francis Scott Key bridge, we thought we'd provide a little quiz about the author of our national anthem. The answers can be found by following the link to a superb article written by Dr. Isaac Asimov in 1991.
- In what year was the anthem written?
- What was Francis Scott Key's occupation?
- Why was he aboard a British ship when he wrote our national anthem?
- What other American was present when the poem was penned?
- How many stanzas are in the original version of the national anthem?
As we celebrate our nation's freedom this week, we remain mindful of our responsibility as a powerful country with an abundance of resources. And we pray that we may always act justly and wisely. Click here to read Dr. Asimov's article.