Back in 2006, we told the TRUE STORY of our Pentecost adventure in 2005. Click here if you haven't read it.
And just when we thought things couldn't get any more literal than being gathered in one room when a LOUD SOUND filled the house ... this past Saturday afternoon we were visited by tongues of fire. Not on our heads, but in the basement. We have not stopped thanking God for the relatively minimal amount of damage that resulted and the near-disaster that could have come about if the fire reached our (nearby) gas dryer or (adjacent) electrical room.
Sister points out the fire extinguisher which remained undamaged despite the flames which melted the clock on the wall above. (Too bad no one was around to use the fire extinguisher!) By the time the sprinkler head tripped and the fire alarm was sounding, however, there was so much smoke that no one could (safely) find their way to the fire. We had to wait for the FD to arrive and locate the source of the smoke.
A cross suffered some damage -- but not nearly as much as one would have expected. The FD broke one window and two doors (hinges repaired yesterday) but stayed to help clean up a good deal of the water and were very cheerful about the whole ordeal.
We sang a rousing "Te Deum" in Thanksgiving for our safety. A very under-used final verse of "Holy God We Praise Thy Name" expresses well our gratitude:
Spare Thy people, Lord, we pray,
By a thousand snares surrounded:
Keep us without sin today,
Never let us be confounded.
Lo, I put my trust in Thee;
Never, Lord, abandon me.