08 July 2013

Rest and revival


Many lay people -- myself included -- struggle with unrealistic schedules and expectations, and the ominous 21st century phenomenon of being available 24/7 to clients and suppliers. 

I have begun to tell my clients, I am not available 24/7. Period. I don't take calls during meals, one-on-one meetings, daily Mass and my daily commitment to a half hour of mental prayer each day. Usually, I am privileged to have this time in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament in my parish church during daily adoration. Sometimes, I just pull off the highway and find a quiet spot. 

My spiritual father, St. Francis de Sales has this to say:

"But especially I commend earnest mental prayer to you, more particularly such as bears upon the Life and Passion of our Lord. If you contemplate Him frequently in meditation, your whole soul will be filled with Him, you will grow in His Likeness, and your actions will be moulded on His.."

After 30 minutes with Christ, and Him crucified, I am revived and ready to continue the race. And I am confident that what I do and say is molded on the example of Christ, my God. I rest knowing I am doing my best to be like Him in my daily life.


From David Gardiner, a long-time friend of our community, who has our Cross of Affiliation

3 comments:

Clare said...

Way to go David!

David James said...

Nice and well written truth and I really like it and you must deserve to get Jesus Grace.

Do One Thing said...

I like this post and you have shared us with great God's word and how to handle situation and God Loves us very much.
Praise The Lord.